Are you curious about how to make money from dropshipping? In this guide, we will walk you through everything you need to know to start an online business with this dropshipping model. We'll discuss what dropshipping is, how it works, and the pros and cons of starting a dropshipping business. Plus, we'll provide tips on setting up your own store, sourcing products, and marketing your business. Ready to get started? Let's go!
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links that I share in this article ARE my affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. In fact, sometimes you'll get a discount or free credits just FOR using my link. 🙂
What is dropshipping and how does it work?
According to Wikipedia, Dropshipping is “a form of retail business wherein the seller accepts customer orders without keeping stock on hand. Instead, in a form of supply chain management, the seller transfers the orders and their shipment details to either the manufacturer, a wholesaler, another retailer, or a fulfillment house, which then ships the goods directly to the customer.”
Dropshipping apps like Dropified let you add individual products from various dropship vendors into your shop to fuel your product offering.
The pros and cons of starting a dropshipping business
Although dropshipping is one of the great business models for new eCommerce entrepreneurs, there are some pros and cons that you should consider before getting started with dropshipping. They are listed below:
Pros of dropshipping
– No need to carry inventory: One of the biggest advantages of Dropshipping is a low-risk business model that you don’t need to carry any inventory. This means that you don’t have to worry about warehouse costs or managing stock.
– Low startup costs: You can launch a Dropshipping business for very little money. All you need is a domain name, hosting, and a Shopify theme (which can cost as little as $100).
– Easy to get started: It’s very easy to launch a Dropshipping business. You can be up and running in just a few days.
– Easy to test products: With Dropshipping, you can easily test many physical products without having to invest in inventory. This means that you can quickly find out what sells and what doesn’t without losing any money.
– The ability to scale and adapt quickly: Dropshipping businesses are very easy to scale. When you make more sales, you simply contact your vendor and order more products. Plus, it’s easy to add or remove products from your store as you see fit.
– You have complete control over your branding: When you build a dropshipping business, you have complete control over your branding. This means that you can create a unique brand identity and position yourself in the market.
– You can also run your dropshipping business in your spare time: you don’t need to quit your job to start a successful store.
– The flexibility to work anywhere in the world: Since you don’t need to carry any inventory, Dropshipping gives you the freedom to run your business from anywhere in the world.
Cons of dropshipping
– You have less control over the product quality: One of the downsides of dropshipping is that you have less control over the quality of products. Since you’re not manufacturing the products yourself, you have to rely on your vendors to provide quality products.
– You’re reliant on your dropship vendors: Another downside is that you’re dependent on vendors to ship products to your customers on time. If your supplier makes a mistake or doesn’t ship products on time, it reflects poorly on your business and it’s your responsibility to fix it. This can lead to angry customers and bad reviews which can be frustrating and time-consuming.
– You may need to deal with returns and customer service issues: Since you’re selling products that you don’t have in stock, you may need to deal with returns and customer service issues. This can be time-consuming and frustrating, but it’s something that you need to be prepared for.
– Can be very competitive: Dropshipping industry can be very competitive. This is because it’s easy for anyone to start a store and there are already many established players in the market. When you’re dropshipping, you’re competing with larger businesses that can offer lower prices. This can be tough, but it’s not impossible to compete if you have a niche product or focus on excellent customer service.
– Low profit margins: The biggest downside of Dropshipping is that you’ll likely have low profit margins. This is because you have to factor in the cost of goods, shipping, and marketing. Furthermore, you won't get the lowest price as you would if you were buying in bulk.
– The Need To Charge Higher For Shipping: Using multiple dropshippers means that you'll have to pay more money to ship all those items. You will need to charge higher shipping fees if you want to be able to cover your expenses. If you're not charging enough, then it's going to be difficult for you to make any money at all.
– It's not easy to build a brand: One of the main reasons people shop with big brands is because they trust them. It takes a lot of time, effort, and money to build that same level of trust with your customers. When you're just starting out, it can be difficult to get people to even remember your brand exists.
– You have to deal with multiple dropship vendors: When you dropship, you have to deal with multiple vendors. This can be difficult because you have to keep track of inventory levels, product availability, and shipping times from each vendor. If one of your vendors makes a mistake, it can reflect poorly on your business.
– Liability problems: Suppliers sometimes try to pass off other companies' products as theirs. This could cause legal problems if the supplier doesn't own the rights to the product. A good contract will help protect you against these kinds of situations.
Now that you know the pros and cons of starting a dropshipping business, let’s look at some tips to help you get started:
How to make money from dropshipping and start a profitable dropshipping business
Commit time to work on your dropshipping business
While it's easy to get started, dropshipping is not a get-rich-quick scheme. You need to be prepared to commit time to work on your business if you want it to be successful. This means regular hours spent sourcing products, creating marketing campaigns, and fulfilling orders.
You need to treat your dropshipping business like any business if you want it to be successful. This means putting in the work and making sure that everything is running smoothly. If you're not prepared to do this, then dropshipping may not be the right business model for you.
Choose the right eCommerce platform
Find a niche market
When you’re thinking about how to start a dropshipping business, it’s important to consider your niche. This is the group of people that you’ll be targeting with your marketing.
Try to find a niche that isn’t too saturated and that you’re familiar with. It’s important to choose a niche that you’re familiar with because you’ll have an inherent understanding of the market and be able to speak to your target market more effectively.
You should also consider the size of the market and whether there is enough demand for your products. If you choose a niche with too much competition, it will be difficult to get your store off the ground. On the other hand, if you choose a niche with too little competition, you might not be able to make enough sales to sustain your business.
The best way to find a profitable niche is to use the Google Trends and Google AdWords Keyword Planner tools. This will help you estimate how much demand there is for products in your chosen niche.
Research your competition
Once you’ve chosen a niche, it’s time to research your competition. This will help you understand the market and how to position your store.
There are a few things you should look at when you’re researching your competition:
– Their product selection
– Their pricing
– Their marketing campaigns
– The design of their store
You can use this information to create a unique selling proposition for your store. This is what will help you stand out from the competition and attract customers to your store.
You can read more about researching on competition from the following post: How to Make a Competitive Analysis and Use It to Your Advantage?
Research your products and find reliable suppliers
After you’ve chosen your niche and researched your competition, it’s time to start researching products. You’ll need to find reliable suppliers for your products and make sure that the products are high quality and in demand.
How to find the best products to sell online
When you first start selling, you may want to sell anything and everything. However, this is not the most effective way to run your business. It’s important to take the time to research and find products that are in demand and that will appeal to your target market.
There are several ways to do this and they are shown as follows:
– Look at bestseller lists on sites like Amazon and eBay to see what products are selling well.
– Use Google Trends to see which keywords are being searched for the most. This can give you an idea of what products are in demand.
– Use a tool like Dropified's product finder to find products that are in demand and that you can dropship.
Once you’ve found a few potential products, it’s important to do some further research to make sure that they will be profitable. You need to consider the price of the product, the shipping costs, and any other fees that will be associated with selling it. You also need to make sure that there is a market for the product and that you’ll be able to compete with other sellers.
Don’t try to sell products that are already being sold by hundreds or thousands of other people. It’s important to find a niche so that you can stand out from the competition.
Where can you find wholesale suppliers?
You can find wholesale suppliers through any of the following methods:
– Dropship directories: These are websites that list dropshipping suppliers. Some of the more popular ones include Worldwide Brands, Doba, and SaleHoo.
– Alibaba and Aliexpress dropshipping: These are two marketplaces where you can find manufacturers and wholesale suppliers for your products. Most of the vendors listed are in China.
– Google Search: You can use Google to find online retailers and wholesale suppliers by searching for “wholesale” or “dropshipping” plus your product niche. Or you can also use Google to find vendors for your products. Just search for “[product] supplier” and you’ll find a list of potential vendors.
– Trade shows: Attending trade shows is a great way to meet wholesale suppliers and see products in person.
– Find out suppliers for your competitor: One of the quickest ways to find a vendor is to order from your competitor. When you receive the product, take a look at the packing slip or invoices to find out who the supplier is.
Criteria when searching for dropship suppliers
When you’re looking for a supplier, it’s important to make sure that they’re reputable and that they have a good track record. You can do this by reading reviews of the vendors online. Or you can also ask the vendor for references.
Some things to keep in mind when choosing dropship vendors:
– They are reliable and responsive: A good vendor will be responsive to your questions and concerns. They should also be able to provide you with tracking information for your orders.
– They offer good customer service: A good vendor will have a team of customer service representatives that can help you with any problems that may arise.
– They have a breadth of products: A good vendor will offer a wide variety of products. This will give you the ability to offer a wide variety of products to your customers. It will also save you money on shipping as you do not need to pay for separate shipping costs if you need to get the products from different suppliers for the same order.
– Price competitiveness: A good vendor will offer competitive wholesale prices on their products.
– Product quality: It’s important to find a supplier that offers high-quality products. You can check reviews of vendors online to get an idea of their reputation.
– Location: It’s important to choose suppliers that are located in the same country as your target market. This will help reduce shipping times and costs.
– Shipping costs: You’ll need to factor them into the price of your products. Choose vendors that offer free or flat rate shipping. This will help you keep your costs down.
– Shipping time: You’ll need to make sure that your suppliers can ship products quickly to meet customer demand.
– Good returns policy: Make sure the vendor has a return policy in place in case there are any problems with the products.
– Minimum order quantities: Some vendors require you to purchase a minimum quantity of product, which can be expensive if you’re just starting.
A good place to get such information is from the listing of suppliers if you are finding them on an online platform such as Aliexpress. You can also read reviews on the vendors given by others who have ordered from them before.
You should also contact the suppliers directly and ask them questions about their products and services. This will help you get a better idea of how they operate and if they are a good fit for your business.
Questions you can ask a potential supplier
When looking for a supplier, you'll want to ask them the following questions:
- What is your turnaround time?
- What are your shipping policies?
- How do you handle returns?
- What other hot selling products do you offer or recommend?
- What are the pricing tiers if I order more?
By asking these questions, you'll be able to get a better idea of whether or not the vendor is a good fit for your business.
Once you’ve found a few potential suppliers, it’s time to start negotiating wholesale prices. You should always try to get the best price possible for your products. The lower your prices, the more competitive your store will be.
You can use this pricing information to create a product list for your store. This is a list of all the products you’ll be selling, along with their price points.
Set up your store by signing up for Shopify
Now that you’ve chosen a platform, found a niche, and researched your products, it’s time to sign up for Shopify and create your store. This is where you’ll showcase your products and start making sales. You can sign up for Shopify here for a free trial.
There are a few things you’ll need to do to set up your store:
– The design of your store: You’ll need to choose a theme for your store which will affect the overall appearance of your store. There are many themes to choose from (both free and paid), so take some time to browse through them and find one that fits your style. The screenshot below shows some of the free themes available on Shopify.
– Add your products: Once you’ve found a theme you like, it’s time to start adding your products. You can add products and the product descriptions one at a time or in bulk using a CSV file.
– Set up payment methods: You’ll need to choose how you want to accept payments. Shopify offers a variety of payment methods, including credit cards, PayPal, and Apple Pay.
– Configure shipping rates: You’ll need to set up your shipping rates and policies. This will let your customers know how much they’ll need to pay for shipping and how long it will take for their order to arrive.
– Choose a domain name: Your domain name is how customers will find your store online. It should be unique and easy to remember. You can buy a domain name through Namecheap and add it to the Shopify store or use one that you already own.
You can read more details on creating your store from the following post: How to Create an Ecommerce Website With Shopify (Simple and Easy Steps)
Dropshipping App to help you automate your business
After setting up your store, you can use an app to help you automate your dropshipping business as it can be quite tedious to do everything manually. A good app to use is Dropified. It helps you automate your entire dropshipping business from product sourcing, to order fulfillment and tracking.
Draw up your marketing strategy
Now that your store is set up, it’s time to start promoting it. You’ll need to draw up a marketing strategy that will help you reach your target audience and drive traffic to your store.
A marketing strategy include the following:
– how to find your target audience
– how to reach your target audience
– what kind of promotions and discounts you’ll offer
– how often you’ll communicate with your customers
– what kind of content you’ll create (e.g. blog posts, videos, etc.)
Drive traffic to your store
Once you’ve drawn up your marketing strategy, it’s time to start implementing it and driving traffic to your store. Remember, the more traffic you can drive to your store, the more sales you’ll make.
There are many ways to promote your store and here are some tips for driving traffic to your store:
– SEO (which stands for Search Engine Optimization): This is the process of optimizing your store so that it appears higher in search engine results. The higher your store appears in the results, the more traffic you’ll get. You can optimize your store SEO for search engines so that customers can find it more easily when they search for relevant keywords.
– Social media: You can use social media marketing platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to promote your store and share your content.
– PPC (which stands for Pay-Per-Click): This is a form of advertising where you pay a fee every time someone clicks on your ad. This is a great way to drive traffic to your store quickly. You can use paid advertising methods like Google AdWords or Facebook Ads to reach a wider audience and drive traffic to your store. You would need to set advertising accounts with these platforms and create ad campaigns that target your desired audience.
– Content marketing: This involves creating and sharing informative or entertaining content that is relevant to your niche. You can also write guest blog posts on relevant websites and include a link back to your store. This can help you attract organic traffic to your store as well as build relationships with potential customers.
– influencer marketing: You can reach out to influencers in your niche and offer them free products in exchange for them promoting your store to their followers.
– Email marketing: You can build up an email list of potential customers and send them promotional messages about your store.
Monitor your results and adjust your strategy
Once you start driving traffic to your store, it’s important to monitor your results so that you can see what’s working and what isn’t. You can use Google Analytics to track how much traffic you’re getting to your store and where it’s coming from. This will help you to adjust your marketing strategy so that you can get the most out of it.
If you’re not getting as much traffic as you’d like, or if your traffic isn’t converting into sales, then you may need to adjust your strategy. You need to try different methods of promotion and see which ones work best for your store or analyze and improve your offering.
Don’t be afraid to experiment – you may just find a new and effective way to market your store.
Start making sales and earn revenue
Once you start driving traffic to your store, you should start seeing sales come in. This is where the real work starts – you need to make sure that you’re fulfilling orders and delivering products to your customers on time.
If you’re using a dropshipping supplier, then they will be responsible for shipping the products to your customers. All you need to do is send them the customer’s details and they will take care of the rest. This is where apps like Dropified can help you automate the dropshipping process.
For now, just focus on driving traffic to your store and making sales. Once you start generating revenue, you can start reinvesting that money into your business to help it grow.
Convert visitors into customers
The final step is to convert your visitors into customers. You can do this by offering great products at a fair price, and by providing excellent customer service.
You can also use marketing techniques like abandoned cart emails and retargeting ads to encourage customers to come back to your store and complete their purchases.
Provide excellent customer service
It’s important to respond to customer service inquiries quickly and efficiently so that you can keep them happy and maintain a good reputation for your store.
You can use a tool like Zendesk to help you keep track of all your customer service inquiries in one place. This will make it easier for you to respond to them promptly.
Tips for success in dropshipping
Below are some tips on how to make money from dropshipping successfully:
Do product testing
It’s also a good idea to test different dropshipping products to see which ones are the most popular with your target audience.
Test your products before selling them to customers. This will help you to identify any potential problems and make sure that they meet your product quality standards.
Don't test your products with just one supplier. Try different ones to see which works better for you.
Maintain good relations with your suppliers
This is important for two reasons: first, they will be more likely to give you better prices; and second, they will be more likely to prioritize your orders.
If you have a good relationship with your vendor, you can negotiate better terms, such as longer payment terms or higher quality products.
You should also try to build relationships with multiple vendors so that you have a backup in case one of them fails to deliver on their promises.
Stay on top of your expenses
Although you don't need to carry inventory when dropshipping, there are other costs involved in running a successful dropshipping business. So make sure you track all your expenses so that you can stay on top of your finances.
Some of the main costs you need to consider are:
– Website hosting/ eCommerce store subscription
– Domain names
– Payment processing fees
– Dropshipping supplier fees
Start tracking your expenses so that you can see how much money you’re spending on your business and how much profit you’re making. This will help you to make informed decisions about how to grow your business.
You can use a tool like QuickBooks or Wave App to help you keep track of all your business expenses. This will make it easier for you to stay organized and understand where your money is going.
Establish a strong brand
Branding is important to establish a strong reputation among customers. A brand should represent who you are or what you stand for. Your brand will help you build trust and credibility among consumers.
Your brand is the total of everything you do. Quality helps build trust. Consistency keeps people coming back. Value attracts new customers. A strong brand adds value to your products and services.
Dropshipping business model is great for anyone who wants to start their own eCommerce business without having to carry any inventory. It’s also a good option for entrepreneurs who are looking for a low-cost way to get started in the eCommerce space.
I have gone through the pros and cons of dropshipping, the steps to starting a profitable drop shipping business, and tips for success in this post. I hope this post has given you a better understanding of how to make money from dropshipping.
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below and I will be happy to answer them. Thank you for reading!